The East High Street Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1987. Like the other residential neighborhoods surrounding downtown Mount Vernon, East High Street is lined by large shade trees, and many of the side streets retain their brick paving. This area of the city started to develop shortly after Mount Vernon was founded in 1805, and most of the buildings date between 1830 and 1925. Greek Revival, Romanesque, Italianate, Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Gothic Revival are among the several styles that lend to the district's architectural beauty.
Non-residential properties include the Knox County Courthouse, the former Mercy Hospital, and the Knox County Memorial Building, which houses the Memorial Theater.