|Address:||201 East Gambier Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1840|
|Original Owner:||Voochie Family|
General George Washington Morgan was born in Washington, Pennsylvania in 1820. At age sixteen, Morgan enlisted in the Texas War of Independence, becoming captain by the age of 18. After the war, Morgan began an education at West Point Military Academy but left after two years to practice law in Mount Vernon, Ohio. After passing the bar and working as a lawyer, he also became editor of Mount Vernon's leading newspaper, The Daily Banner.
General Morgan’s wife, Sarah, acquired the house at 201 East Gambier Street from the Voochie Family in 1853. Though technically settled with his wife in Mount Vernon, Gen. Morgan did not stay put for long as he continued gain military successes, including forcing Confederate troops to retire from the Cumberland Gap in 1862, serving as colonel in the Mexican-American War and serving under William Tecumseh Sherman until his resignation in 1863.
The house remains very similar to its original construction in the 1840s. A portico with four doric columns frames the structure’s front doorway and gives detail to the five bay façade. The ridgeline runs parallel to the street featuring a full entablature doorway on the second floor, with an uncommon central pediment, rectangular framed window and sidelights over the portico.