|Address:||7-9 East High Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1890s|
|Original Owner:||O. M. Arnold|
In the 1890s, the building was owned by O. M. Arnold, who is also the most likely individual responsible for erecting this structure. Arnold maintained a willow ware shop here, a type of crockery commonly referred to as Blue Willow, or simply blue ware. This fashion of crockery typically depicts romantic scenes from the Far East, and the pattern is hand-painted or stamped onto the white ceramic. The deep, rich blue for which this crockery gets its nickname is the most common color used, though pink, green, and brown, were also favored colors. When the building was first constructed, it was a single story high. It was not until sometime around 1905 that the 2nd story was added, which may lend to the unusual, lopsided 2nd-story window arrangement and somewhat nondescript architectural style, though many of the elements that were added later are vaguely reminiscent of Italianate architecture. The most distinctive feature of this building is the stone block belt-course, carved in a stylized floral pattern, likely at the height—and perhaps a remnant of—the original cornice of the single-story building. Another, smaller belt-course of herring-bone design, also carved in stone, stretches between the doorways and display windows at the transom sill levels. The storefronts have been altered, but maintain their original configuration. The cornice consists of small, plain wood brackets, designed to imitate traditional Italianate architecture. The bracketed cornice, present only on the southern facade, is not an extension of the roof, and is most likely a later addition to blend with the Italianate trend of much of the rest of downtown, as other features of this building are not strictly Italianate in nature.