|Address:||46-51 Public Square|
|Year Built:||c. 1897|
|Original Owner:||Thomas Taugher|
Construction on the building began sometime around 1897, most likely under the direction of Thomas Taugher, who founded Taughers' Drugstore, the oldest such establishment in Mount Vernon for many years until its closing sometime in the 1950s to 1960s. The corner storefront of this building along Blackberry Alley housed the offices for the Pearl Steam Laundry. The plant, located on the southeast corner of East Ohio Avenue and Blackberry Alley, prided itself in having the most modern equipment of the day at their disposal, including the largest mangle of any laundry facility within Mount Vernon. The offices in the Taugher Building handled the day-to-day transactions with patrons, as well as scheduling both collection and delivery of laundry every day of the week—"everything from a napkin to a circus tent."
Unlike most of the buildings in the Downtown Mount Vernon Historic District, the Taugher Building features a well-preserved pressed-metal facade instead of bare-faced brick. Large oriel windows extend vertically from the 2nd and 3rd stories. The belt-course is detailed with a row of floral garlands encircling fleur-de-lis. Large brackets support the pressed-metal cornice, which is decorated with dentils, flowers, and sunbursts. A pressed-metal nameplate centered above the roofline advertises "TAUGHER," although the building was also known as the Kokosing Building.