|Address:||5-13 West High Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1900|
The semi-crenellated cornice features a large sandstone nameplate with the name "LEWIS." White stone was used to add contrast to the red brick facade, in detailing around the windows, in a band across the roofline, and as tiny sills for the recessed panels that form the crenellation. Between each set of windows is a brick spandrel block, again to provide some dimension to the building. A brick encasement surrounds each of the windows, with a white stone square in each corner. This Lewis Building, one of two within the Downtown Mount Vernon Historic District under this name, is the only structure within this district that utilizes the Chicago window, a window design popularized by the Chicago school of architecture. It consists of a large central pane of glass, usually fixed in place, flanked by two narrow sash windows. Here, the larger central portion of the window is also movable.