|Address:||400 South Gay Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1900|
|Original Owner:||C. A. & C. Railroad|
This building was constructed by the Cleveland, Akron, and Columbus Railroad around 1880 to provide freight delivery to the center of Mount Vernon, and served the community in this capacity throughout the late-19th and early-20th centuries. the building has been rehabilitated in recent years, once to serve as a local video rental store, and most recently to provide office space for the Knox County Chamber of Commerce. This is the only freight depot within the Downtown Mount Vernon Historic District, and remains in near original condition. This historic railroad depot is a long, rectangular wood-frame building with a moderate side-gable roof with a wide overhang that is supported by thin, functional stick-style brackets. This extension of the roof, present only on the north elevation, facing Howard Street, provides a partial shed over the former loading platform. This platform, original to the building, is a post-and-beam structure, floored with random-width planks of wood. The main north facade has three large freight doors, now boarded but clearly visible, that were used for off-loading railcars that pulled up to the platform by the siding. The westernmost door has been modified to fit a standard-sized modern door. The south facade also has three large freight doors, where wagons and trucks would load up with goods for distribution throughout Mount Vernon. All but the easternmost door has been modified to fit a standard-sized door.