|Address:||222 South Main Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1880s|
|Original Owner:||John S. Braddock|
The building was owned in the late-19th century by John S. Braddock, a land speculator w ho owned a great many properties in and around Mount Vernon, as well as in what is now the Midwestern United States. Braddock was born in Morris Township, near Fredericktown, on December 13, 1844. When he returned home from farming in Illinois, where his father had sent him at the age of 19, Braddock began teaching in the county schools. He taught from 1866 to 1870, in the winter months only, so that he cold continue his business of land speculation throughout the Midwest during the summer. By October, 1870, Braddock had permanently relocated to Mount Vernon, where he continued his business in land warrants and scrip. Braddock also served as the president of the Mount Vernon Bridge Company, which he had established between 1871 and 1880 as the Mount Vernon Bridge Works. Small wrought-iron highway bridges were this company's specialty, and by 1886 received a commission to build a three-span bridge over the Potomac River. However, the cost of building this bridge in addition to erecting an enlarged plant that same year put great financial strain on the company. When the Panic of 1893 occurred, Braddock was unable to recover his losses created by this national depression, and the plant closed a year later. The company was revived in 1897 by James Westwater. Many Mount Vernon Bridge Company bridges are still standing throughout the State of Ohio and elsewhere in America.
This tall, three-story Italianate building has served downtown Mount Vernon in a number of capacities since its construction sometime around 1880. It was likely a result, at least in part, of John Braddock's success with the Mount Vernon Bridge Company. The windows retain what appears to be the original, or at least historic, poured-glass panes. All of the upper-level windows possess bracketed hoodmolds. In the center of the hoodmolds are eggs, surrounded by floral elements. the cornice, which appears to be a combination of wood and pressed metal, is detailed with dentils and graceful brackets. Though the ground-level storefront has been altered, it was designed to compliment the historic features of the remainder of the building, all of which was done as part of the larger Heritage Row restoration. For the first couple of decades, the building was used as a cut marble store, with an open stone yard and workshop in the rear. In the early-1900s, it operated as a bank. Since 1952, this building has served the Mount Vernon community as a number of different restaurants.