Address: 10 East Vine Street
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1876
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: Levi B. Ward

The building was constructed for Mr. Levi B. Ward, who also owned the large Second Empire commercial bloc adjacent to this property.  This early Italianate brick building consists of two stories with a wide bracketed cornice.  The tall 2nd-story windows have round-arched bracketed hoodmolds with decorative, rounded keystones.  The center window's hoodmold reads "L. B. W. 1876," providing the owner's initials and the year in which the building was constructed.  While the transoms are boarded, the storefronts retain their original wood frames and stone sills.  The cast iron storefront cornice is supported by square pilasters, constructed of brick with cast iron capitals.  A deeply recessed entrance at the northwest corner of the building sports the more recent name of "RESSING BUILDING," for T. Garrett Ressing, a member of the Knox County Bar Association.

The building was constructed for Mr. Levi B. Ward, who also owned the large Second Empire commercial bloc adjacent to this property.  This early Italianate brick building consists of two stories with a wide bracketed cornice.  The tall 2nd-story windows have round-arched bracketed hoodmolds with decorative, rounded keystones.  The center window's hoodmold reads "L. B. W. 1876," providing the owner's initials and the year in which the building was constructed.  While the transoms are boarded, the storefronts retain their original wood frames and stone sills.  The cast iron storefront cornice is supported by square pilasters, constructed of brick with cast iron capitals.  A deeply recessed entrance at the northwest corner of the building sports the more recent name of "RESSING BUILDING," for T. Garrett Ressing, a member of the Knox County Bar Association.

 


 

Downtown District

District Properties