|Address:||12 South Main Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1850|
|Original Owner:||Eli Miller|
The building was constructed sometime before the Civil War for Eli Miller. Besides operating a general merchandise store and tavern in this building, and even managing the local post office at one point in time, Miller was also an active member in numerous civic organizations. This building once housed the printing offices of The Republican Publishing Company, prior to the construction of its own facilities along East Vine Street. This company distributed one of Mount Vernon's earliest newspapers, The Republican-News, the forerunner of the Mount Vernon News of today. The architecture of the Eli Miller Building is an extremely modest Italianate style, and is one of the earliest brick commercial structures to remain in the downtown district.