Address: 502 East High Street
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1882-1885
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: William McKee Koons

William M. Koons, perhaps one of the best trial lawyers in Mount Vernon from the time of his admission to the bar in the 1870s t his death in the 1930s, began construction on his home in 1882.  The rear section of the house was the first to be completed, and served as living quarters for his family until the main part of the house was completed in 1885.  The home was owned by Koons and his descendents until the early-1970s.

The fountain displayed on the front lawn is original to the property, and is made out of cinder stones.  The house itself is one of the finest Italianate structures in Mount Vernon.  The roof is supported by paired brackets, and is topped with a small cupola, in the Italian Villa tradition.  The windows are protected by square, carved stone lintels.  The two-story bay window and rusticated stone quoins on each corner of the house are additional features that define this house.  The ornate side porches were likely added in the early-20th century, but the house as a whole has very few alterations to the exterior of the building.

 

Property Name: Koons Carriage House
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: c. 1882
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: William McKee Koons

This carriage house is one of two such outbuildings still standing within the East High Street Historic District.  Located toward the back of the house, it was likely constructed at the same time as the rear section of the main house.  However, it appears that the carriage house was either built in three different stages, or was damaged on two different occasions, based on the brick used in its construction.  In either case, the original Italianate design remains intact, including brick lintels over the windows and door, shutters, horse stalls, and a staircase.  On one occasion, an automobile accident severely damaged the structure, forcing a portion of one of the walls to be reconstructed.  In addition to the carriage house, the automobile accident also damaged the floor to such an extent that it was repaved with cement.  Beneath the cement are the remains of an underground ice house.

 


 

East High District

District Properties