|Address:||407 North Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1856|
|Original Owner:||Potwin Family|
The home was probably built by the Potwin family as a rental propertyaround 1856, but is mostly associated with the J. S. Ringwalt family, who purchased it in 1878. Ringwalt, who lived from 1838 until 1907, was the founder of a large dry goods store in Mount Vernon, which once stood where First-Knox National Bank’s parking lot is today. The Ringwalt Store was in business in Mount Vernon for 121 years. John S. Ringwalt, who lived at this home, also served as president of First Knox National Bank.
A well-proportioned pediment, distinct entablature, and its basic temple shape, are among the home’s original Greek Revival features. The door is surrounded by sidelights and transom, recessed panels, and a pair of pilasters supporting a large lintel. Victorian additions include a Palladian window in the pediment, wooden window dressings, and several additions in the rear. Aluminum siding was recently added to the structure.