|Address:||404 North Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Colonial Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1850|
|Original Owner:||Thomas E. Monroe|
The home was probably built by Thomas E. Monroe, who was a minister of the Congregational Church in Mount Vernon. During his years in the pulpit of that church, he led the movement resulting in the completion of a new church building, located at the corner of Main and Sugar Streets.
The Thomas Monroe House was built around 1850. Because of its rather plain appearance, and having such features as steep gables (originally lacking bargeboards), a very austere octagonal bay window in front, and tall dormer windows, the home might be classified as being a vernacular Gothic Revival. A late-19th century front porch with paired columns partially obscures a large French window and front door with a transom.