|Address:||206 North Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1841|
|Original Owner:||William Beam|
The home was originally built by William Beam, a dry goods merchant who served as sheriff for some years. The home, though, is mostly associated with Dr. Frank Carter Larimore, M.D. Larimore was born April 12, 1846 on North High Street, Columbus, Ohio. Born to poor parents, he was raised primarily by his uncle, Thomas Larimore, and Thomas’s son, Capt. Henry Larimore, who were genuinely concerned with the child’s welfare and upbringing, and gave him every possible opportunity.
F. C. Larimore served as a gallant soldier in the Civil War, enlisting in Company G of the Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and later becoming fifth sergeant of Company B, One Hundred and Forty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Larimore was wounded during the war and became unfit for farm work, so upon his return to Ohio he began his study of medicine.
On March 29, 1869, Dr. Larimore graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York. He quickly became a member of the Knox County Medical Society and the Ohio State Medical Society, and joined the American Medical Association in June 1872.
Dr. Larimore was a general practitioner and surgeon. After returning from a year-long trip to Europe in 1873, where he took a post-graduate course in Vienna and studied hospital conditions in the country, Dr. Larimore purchased this home on North Main Street. Here he lived and maintained his office. This was probably the first “hospital” in Knox County until a more universal medical building was erected for use in 1904. In 1906, Dr. Larimore became president of the Ohio State Medical Society. He is recognized as the first doctor in the area to use the hypodermic syringe and to use cocaine as a local anesthetic.
Dr. Larimore was married on December 30, 1875 to Mary Frances Odbert, who came from a prominent Mount Vernon family. The couple reared three daughters: Elizabeth, who married William H. McKinley; Mary; and Harriet. The family were active members of the Baptist Church, Dr. Larimore acting as superintendent of the Sunday school for four years. During the Larimore family’s stay in the residence, the home was a favorite social gathering place for many family and friends in the community.
Despite some minor additions, the home remains a nicely preserved Greek Revival structure. Original features of that style include a well-proportioned pediment facing the front, full entablature, and a very finely detailed Corinthian portico. Later additions include front double-doors, which removed the sidelights, carved wooden lintels over the windows, and a wood frame rear addition.