The Kenyon College Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1975 by George Siekkinen.

Kenyon College, founded in 1824 and originally supported by the Episcopal Church, was the first private college in Ohio.  Its first president and founder, Bishop Philander Chase conducted a vigorous fund raising campaign here in this country and in Great Britain, where he won the support of members of the British aristocracy for whom he named the college, the village, and many of the streets and buildings.  With the funds, Chase purchased 8000 acres east of Mount Vernon where he created a self-sufficient domain with farms, saw and grist mills, and workshops supplying the needs of the students and the professors.