samuelmathera

Address: West Side of Middle Path
Architectural Style: Collegiate Gothic
Year Built: 1926; 1970
Architect/Builder: Abram Garfield 
Original Owner: Kenyon College

Samuel Mather Science Hall was a gift of Henry G. Dalton, and was considered at its dedication the finest labratory in the nation for an undergraduate college.  During the dedication program, the architect described the building as having a "perpendicular Gothic" feeling.  The main facade faces Middle Path is defined with castle-like turrets flanking the central portion of the buidling.  The north and south wings project beyond the center section, and have blank faces on the first story.  Tudor Revival windows  are tall and narrow.  The main entrance is defined by a Tudor arch portico.  Philip Mather Hall was added to the north of the building in 1962.