ascension

Address: East Side of Middle Path
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Year Built: 1858-1860
Architect/Builder:

William Tinsley (architect)

William Fish (contractor)

Original Owner: Kenyon College

Ascension Hall was the third Gothic Revival building constructed on the Kenyon College campus, and was named to honor the Ascension Church of New York, who helped fund the building.  It originally contained recitation and lecture rooms, the college library and museum, the two literary society rooms, twenty-six rooms for students, and an observatory in the central tower.  It is located on the eastern side of Middle Path.

This rectangular Gothic Revival building has a central crenellated tower that projects from the center of the facade.  The wings on either side of this tower are broken by recessed bays.  Other details include belt courses, corner buttresses, and pinnacled dormers.  The second floor contains a meeting room with elaborately carved woodwork.  A similar room exists on the 3rd floor, though this was subdivided at an unknown date.

Architect William Tinsley was responsible for constructing several other buildings on the Kenyon College campus and elsewhere in Gambier, including Kokosing House and the Knox County Infirmary in Bangs, south of Mount Vernon.  Though evidence has yet to surface, Tinsley is most likely responsible for designing Christ Church at the Quarry, know better as Quarry Chapel Church.