|Address:||405 East Wiggin Street|
|Year Built:||c. 1870|
This house was once owned by the White Family, who were prominent farmers in College Township. The patriach of the family was Thomas White, who was born in Maryland in 1779. He married Winnie Logsdon, also of Maryland, in 1802. Shortly after their marriage, sometime around 1804 or 1805, they moved to central Knox County, not far removed from Mount Vernon. They moved to what is now College township after a few years, near the Village of Gambier. Together they had seven children. Their second son, Lewis, was born on October 8, 1811, and continued the family farming business. He moved just south of Gambier after his marriage to Rebecca Welshhammer in 1831, where they raised six children. Their second son, William H. White, is listed as the owner of 405 East Wiggin Street in 1896.
This house has all the hallmarks of Italianate architecture. It stands two stories tall, covered by a low hip roof with slate shingles, and has a wide overhange featuring paired cornice brackets. The central chimney is a common feature of homes in the northern United States. The tall narrow windows have been replaced with modern frames, but retain decorative shutters. The wide full-length front porch was most likely added sometime in the early-20th century. It features a metal shed roof supported by contemporary wood columns with a decorative scroll design. The main entrance is located in southwest corner, and has been altered from its original Italianate design to feature Colonial Revival swan-neck pediment.