|Address:||303 East Wiggin Street|
|Architectural Style:||Italianate, Craftsman|
|Year Built:||c. 1865, c. 1920s|
J. Brown owned this house in the 1870s. This was most likely Joseph and Ann Brown, who were Irish immigrants. Joseph was a gardner by trade, and had five children. Their son, J. R. Brown, become one of the more prominent citizens of Gambier. He was born on September 24, 1849 in Ireland. His family moved to Clermont County, Ohio when he was only three months old. In 1853, the family relocated to Gambier. At the age of 21, Brown began his apprenticeship as a shoemaker with W. E. Wootton. After two years he began to work for an A. Jacobs, where he stayed until 1873, when he started his own businesses. Brown made a wide variety of boots and shoes, and even supplied his customers with slippers and gaiters. The house was later owned by the Sapp family.
The house was constructed in the popular Italianate style sometime around the end of the Civil War. Although the cornice brackets no longer exist, the house retains its hipped roof with wide overhang, and its long windows with two-over-two paned sashes. The large enclosed porch with gable roof was most likely added sometime in the mid- to late-twentieth centuries in the Craftsman style. The roof is supported by short square columns.