|Address:||200 East Wiggin Street|
|Architectural Style:||Gothic Revival|
The first Methodists arrived in Gambier in the early-1830s, but the Episcopal Church was reluctant to sell land within Harcourt Parish for the construction of a non-Anglican church such as the Methodists. By 1841 the Methodist congregation obtained permission to hold their worship services in the district schoolhouse, where the continued until 1854 when they were able to purchase the lot of land where the current church stands. The Methodists built, according to A. Banning Norton, a "neat frame church" paid for by "the subscription of liberal citizens." This small, wood frame church served the Methodist congregation until 1888, when the current brick structure was erected. The Epworth United Methodist Church
The church is shaped like a cross, as was common in churches of this period, with steep gables at each elevation. The most prominent feature is the large, square bell tower with spire at the northwest corner. The top half of the tower is covered with horizontal siding, and is very likely of wood frame construction. It is not known if this section of the tower was damaged and rebuilt or if it is original, as there are no historic photos to compare to the current building. Lancet windows with brick and stone lintels add to the Gothic Revival nature of the church, including a large lancet transom over the main entrance. An oculus window is located in the gable of the west and east facades, and is filled with a large Star of David. In the center of the star is an equal-armed cross with the letters "E" and "L," which stand for "Epworth League."