|Address:||105 East Wiggin Street|
|Architectural Style:||Queen Anne; Italianate|
|Year Built:||c. 1855|
This house was most likely built in the late-1850s by Alexander B. Hutchinson, a Gambier butcher. He was the father-in-law of Otho Casteel, who lived across the street. The Hutchinson family owned the home until sometime in the early 1890s, and by 1896 it was owned by W. Fish. It was later occupied by Kenyon historian George Franklin Smythe. It is currently known as Crozier House, and is used as a center for women.
This house is a mixture of many different architectural styles that often occured during this period as owners wanted to keep their favorite elements of older styles but stay current with newer designs. The most prominent feature is the Queen Anne style porch, with delicate turned columns and geometrically formed ballustrade, perhaps influenced by Chinese or Japanese aesthetics. The house is four bays wide, with a cross gable roof and a central chimney and immobile shutters flanking the front windows. The front gable may have been a later addition, perhaps at the same time as the porch, as the peak has shingle siding commonly found in Queen Anne architecture. A large Italianate bay window extends from the first story on the eastern elevation, complete with paired decorative cornice brackets.