|Address:||302 Gaskin Avenu|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1833|
|Original Owner:||William Sparrow|
Now used as the Kenyon College student health clinic, this early-1830s house was originally constructed as housing for the college's professors. Dr. William Sparrow was one of the first instructors to live in this house, which later attained the nickname "The Deanery" because of the many important Kenyon professors that resided there, including President William Budd Bodine. Another person of local significance to live in this house was Professor John Trimble, who came to Gambier to teach at Kenyon in 1851. He was professor of Latin and Greek, a position he held for 25 years. When his health began to fail him, he retired in 1878. He died that April. Reverend Hosea W. Jones, professor at the Bexley Seminary (from 1884 to 1893), lived in the house in the 1880s. The house was converted into the school infirmary in 1968, and has since become a part of Kenyon's Health and Counseling Center.
This is a beautiful example of Classical Revival architecture in the midst of Kenyon College's strong medieval influences. The main central portion of the house is reminiscent of Greek Revival architecture, while the two temple wings on either side more closely follow Federal design, with their hip roofs and end chimneys. All of the windows originally had six panes in each sash, very much in line with Classical Revival architecture, with plain stone lintels and sills, and what appears to have been functional shutters. The fanlight in the pediment was a later addition, further enhancing the Federal appearance. Before the fanlight there was a simple rectangular window, and before that the pediment was left blank. The front porch has also undergone expansion over the years. There was likely no porch or other covering present when the house was originally constructed, considering the presence of sidelights and transom surrounding the front door. By the late-19th century there was a large simple portico with square wood columns protecting the entrance. To the right of the portico was a long open porch with a simple wooden ballustrade. The full length Classical Revival porch was not constructed until sometime in the early-20th century, sometime between 1910 and 1920. The addition of an ell to the rear of the house was constructed in the early-20th century. The house, now faced with brick, was originally built using stone. It is thought that Bishop McIlvaine is responsible for adding the brick.