100gaskin

Address: 100 Gaskin Avenue
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: c. 1860
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: C. G. Scott

This house was the childhood home of Louise Gessner Adams, who studied and wrote about the history of Kenyon College and Harcourt Parish.  She grew up in this house in the early-20th century.  It was originally constructed sometime around the 1860s by C. G. Scott, who for many years owned a general store in Gambier, primarily dealing in groceries and dried goods.  The house was purchased by Ruhamah Tress in 1883.  She lived in this house with her daughter and son-in-law.  The house has seen several alterations since its original date of construction, but has retained its original Italianate features throughout.  Louise Adams recalled that her father increased the attic space in 1892 to make it a full story.  He also added porch in 1902 that extended across the front and wrapped around the south side of the house.  In 1906 Mr. Adams built an addition to the rear.  Kenyon College bought the house in 1940, and removed the large porch sometime around the 1950s.  A small oriel window supported by brackets similar to those supporting the overhanging cornice was added to the side facing Gaskin Avenue in the mid- to late-20th century.

 


 

Gambier District

District Properties