|Address:||207 Chase Avenue|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival; Italianate|
Professor Mardenbro White, described as "the father of the American church" in the county histories, arrived in Gambier in 1832 alongside Bishop McIlvaine. White operated the college store, and in 1843 was elected agent and treasurer of Kenyon College, a position he held for nearly 20 years until his death in 1882. He also served as a vestryman of Harcourt Parish for nearly 34 years. White built this house in 1853, and is thought to have lived in this house until 1882, even though its ownership was listed under J. E. Rhodes in 1871, and in 1896 by R. Jolley.
This is another of those interesting houses that portray the transitional period between two architectural styles. Its form is predominantly Greek Revival, although the roofline with wide overhanging eaves is more in line with Italianate design. Although the eaves are influenced by Italianate architecture, the large number of brackets show a sympathy to Greek Revival design. They are more in line with modillions that are sometimes found in the pediments of late Greek and Roman temples. The tall narrow window beneath the cornice is another Italianate feature. The small one-story addition at the rear of the house may have served as the kitchen. The frieze windows beneath the cornice follow Greek Revival architecture. The front porch was likely added sometime in the 20th century.