100saclanda

Address: 100 South Acland Street
Architectural Style: Italianate
Year Built: c. 1860
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Original Owner: Unknown

Alfred J. Dickeson (often misspelled Dickenson) was born on February 28, 1842 in Monroe Township, Knox County.  He moved to Gambier shortly after his marriage to Miss O. Fobes in August 1862.  She was the daughter of Reverend D. L. Fobes, of neighboring Coshocton County.  Dickeson was a blacksmith by trade, specializing in horse shoeing.  He and his partner opened the Hart & Dickeson carriage shop in 1873, where he was in charge of the iron department.  This company manufactured everything from buggies to farm wagons in a wide variety of models to suit the needs of everyone, whether they were needed for heavy utility or luxury travel.  Hart & Dickeson were just as well-known for Dickeson's horse shoeing expertise as their wagon craftsmanship.  Dickeson, like many Ohioans, served in the Civil War.  He enlisted in Company B of the 96th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in 1862, serving in the 13th army corps.  He was officially discharged from duty in 1865.  The 1871 Knox County atlas describes Dickeson as a painter, so he may have had a hand in painting the various carriages and wagons that he and his partner made.

Dickeson lived in this house until 1885, when it was purchased by Russell S. Devol, who was Peabody Professor of Mathematics, Civil Engineering, and Astronomy at Kenyon College.  Professor Devol also served as a vestryman of Harcourt Parish until his death in 1916.  The 1900 census describes Devol as an electrical worker, which may have been part of his training as a civil engineer.

This large Italianate house has tall windows on all sides although only the elevation facing Wiggin Street has false shutters.  The roof is covered in slate shingles, and and a central chimney.  Devol constructed a small addition to the house sometime between 1907 and 1913.  The T-shaped addition along the south side of this housed is defined by a small attic window in the pediment end.  The original circa-1897 front porch was demolished sometime in the mid-20th century, the same period that a western addition was made to the house.

100saclandb

 


 

Gambier District

District Properties