Address: 101 North Acland Street 
Architectural Style: Greek Revival 
Year Built: c. 1855 
Architect/Builder: Unknown 
Original Owner: Unknown 

In 1871, this small house was owned by Thomas R. Head.  Born in Hampshire County, Virginia on August 5, 1823, Head settled in College Township, Knox County in 1835.  He married Angeline Derby on October 21, 1849, and shortly after moved to Gambier.  Head lived in College Township for sixteen years before he moved to Indiana in 1851.  He was a butcher and stock dealer by trade.  Head practiced butchering for twelve years, when in 1861 he tired of this line of work and turned to farming and raising livestock.  Head purchased this house in 1871.  He also purchased a building on Park Street (just south of Wiggin Street) to house the T. R. Head & Company, which was most likely a slaughterhouse and livestock market.

William Fish and his family moved into the adjacent house (107 East Wiggin Street) in 1883.  Fish purchased this small house sometime in the late 1800s, perhaps for use as servants' quarters, a small rental cottage, or even as a general purpose outbuilding.

This house appears to be an example of small-scale antebellum residential architecture, whose modest Greek Revival style retains many of its original features, including wood siding and trim.  The entrance is surrounded by an entablature supported by fluted wood pilasters.  Three small frieze windows are tucked underneath the overhanging eaves.  The large picture window was added sometime in the 1950s.  A single-story extension to the rear of this house was likely added sometime in the mid- to late-19th century to provide additional living space.



Gambier District

District Properties