|Address:||31 North Chestnut Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
In 1871, this house was owned by a T. Culp. By 1896 the property was owned by Ananias C. Marple. Marple was born on May 5, 1833 in Virginia. He came to Ohio with his family in 1841 at the age of eight. The family made its way to Pike Township in north central Knox County, two townships east of Fredericktown. Marple made his living as a cooper and brick maker. One of his most important projects was in making and laying bricks for the Methodist Church, which currently serves as the Fredericktown Area Historical Society Museum. Ananias and his wife, Mary Edwards Marple, were very active in the Fredericktown community. Ananias was a town marshal for a time, and served on the local board of education for fifteen years. Marple died May 3, 1904 at the age of 80.
This is one of Fredericktown's oldest houses. A small wing extends from the rear, otherwise there are few alterations to the house. The cottage stands at one and a half stories. The first-floor windows and the windows under the eaves on the gable ends are all six-over-six double-hung sashes in simple wood frames. The frieze windows on the front and rear facades are common in Greek Revival architecture.