|Address:||21 East Sandusky Street|
|Architectural Style:||Vernacular Greek Revival|
|Year Built:||c. 1830|
A large Indian mound once stood on this site, which was the highest point in what is now the Village of Fredericktown. This mound was graded to provide a level surface for the construction of this home circa 1830. Peris Sprague, an early State Legislator, acquired the property in 1828. As was commonly done in the 18th and 19th centuries, a small, single story cottage to the rear of the main house was built first. This allowed the family a place to live while the larger house was constructed. Very little is known about the property's history. By 1871, the property was owned by Mrs. S. E. Nevins. An M. & E. Smith lived there at least from 1896 to the early 1900s. By 1910 it was owned by an A. A. Gibson. Frank R. Darling owned the house at least from 1930 to 1940.
The house is a beautiful example of vernacular Greek Revival architecture in the temple layout. It features a large 1½ story central segment that is defined by a front gable roof with thick cornice returns. The deeply recessed entrances is outlined with Greek Revival transom and sidelights. Large square columns support the upper story. On either side of the main structure are two single-story wings, which give the home its distinctive temple design. Both of these wings have similar cornice returns at their gable ends. The large windows with 6-over-6 double hung sashes are Greek Revival in style. The interior of the home has been restored. Highlights include original walnut woodwork and some colored glass windows.