|Address:||17 South Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Victorian Gothic|
G. W. Bolton (architect)
|Original Owner:||First Presbyterian Church|
The Presbyterians are credited for being the first religious body to take seat in the Village of Fredericktown. This congregation was organized in 1808 by Reverend W. Wright. This is the third building to house the Presbyterians. Early worshipers held services in the old blockhouse that was located near Main Street. In September, 1827, the Fredericktown church disassociated with the Presbyterian churches of Martinsburg and Mount Vernon, though it was not until 1836 that the Fredericktown congregation built its first church in the village near the old blockhouse. The cornerstone of the current building was laid August 1, 1885. Construction was completed in 1886 at a cost of $18,000. It is the largest church within the village corporation limits.
The exterior of the church is highlighted by large stained glass lancet windows and recessed lancet arched entrances. Above the north entrance is a steeple. The original steeple was removed in 1953, which was much larger than the current. Like many 19th century ecclesiastical buildings, this church was constructed in the shape of a cross. The sanctuary is in the eastern wing. The west wing is primarily used for classrooms. The interior has undergone some alterations, but it retains the its gorgeous vaulted ceiling in the sanctuary. As in many churches built around this time, the exposed rafters resemble the the upside down hull of a boat, why symbolically represents the church as a ship providing safe passage for its congregation. A large fellowship hall and community center was added to the wast of the building in 2007, and was dedicated on September 24, 2008. This provides additional space for Sunday School classes as well as a dining hall with an industrial size kitchen.