|Address:||39 North Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival; Italianate|
|Year Built:||c. 1865|
This house is thought to have been built sometime around the end of the Civil War by a Dr. King to serve as his home and offices. Very little is known about Dr. King. He may have been Wilson A. King, who is listed as a surgeon in Company 142 of the Ohio National Guard. By 1871 the home was owned by a Dr. G. R. Sherwood, and by 1896 a G. B. Ewers. Ewers was on the Board of Road Supervisors in 1881. Cenith A. Blackburn owned the property in the 1930s and 1940s, but little is known about her.
It is thought that the basement served as a doctor's office, although this seems unlikely, as it was originally an unfinished cellar. It is more likely that the offices were located on the first floor, if at all. Early maps do not show a doctor's office in this house, but in a building (now razed) just south of it. The Dr. King House is a wonderful example of the awkward transition between architectural styles. Its mass, layout, and entrance are Greek Revival, but the windows and cornice are more in line with Italianate. This commonly happens when a builder wants to stay with traditional home designs, but wants to be current on the latest trends. The large central entrance is surrounded by Greek Revival transom and sidelights, which in turn are surrounded by square pilasters supporting a simple, but large, entablature. The Italianate windows are simple, with thick mullions separating the narrow double-pane sashes.