|Address:||53-57 North Main Street|
|Architectural Style:||Greek Revival|
This property is listed as the "Bell House" because of a later resident, Harvey Bell, who lived there for many years, likely sometime in the 1940s or 1950s. It is not known who originally built the house, but one early owner was a P. H. Lyle, who held title to the property in 1871. From at least 1896 through 1940, it was owned by various members of the Castner family (sometimes spelled Casner).
The house is similar in design to "saltbox" houses, although it is not a true saltbox. It is very similar in design to its next door neighbor, and like its neighbor, served a dual purpose as a residence and commercial offices. It has a very distinctive central entrance. The large Greek Revival sidelights and transom that surround the door allow for ample natural light to penetrate the interior for at least the first half of the day. The southern entrance may have been a slightly later addition, and has two large Italianate display windows on either side of the door. A long single story addition to the rear of the building is covered with a shed roof, which gives it the saltbox appearance.