|Address:||107-115 North Main Street|
This group of buildings were constructed in 1875 after a disastrous fire destroyed many of the frame commercial buildings earlier that year. At one time it was owned by the locally prominent Struble family. D. Struble owned this property in 1896 and 1900, and may have been responsible for its construction. It could have been either Daniel Struble, but it is more likely his brother, David, based on the types of businesses in operation in this block. David was born in Wayne Township, Knox County, Ohio on April 10, 1841. His parents, John D. and Mary Headley, came to Fredericktown in 1832 from New Jersey. John was a blacksmith in trade, but also was successful in milling, merchandising, and farming. David worked with his father on the family farm. When the Civil War broke out, David enlisted in the Union Army in Company A (some accounts say Company B) of the Second New York Cavalry. He joined on August 5, 1861 while he was visiting family in New Jersey. He was a soldier for a little over three years, during which time his meritorious conduct earned him a corporal commission. He was discharged on September 14, 1864. After his service in the war, David returned home to work on the farm and help his brother Daniel operate the local livery and mercantile business. After two years, Daniel and David parted ways. Daniel became a banker and owned a great deal of real estate. David operated a drugstore, and later moved on to produce. Eventually David became involved in boots and shoes, which he did until he retired in 1881. He also served as the Fredericktown postmaster for four years. On May 10, 1866, he married Anna E. Cummings, who was born in 1844. They had one daughter, Christena.
This commercial block is a good example of Italianate architecture that is preserved quite well. The large plate glass windows on the first floor are separated by square iron piers which support the structure above. Between the first and second floors is an ornamental cornice. The second floor windows are segmental arches with hoodmolds. An elaborate bracketed cornice crowns the structure. The interior has undergone several alterations over the years.