Front Text : "Christ Church at the Quarry" The stone masons brought from England by Bishop Chase to construct early buildings at Kenyon College settled in this area. In the 1850's with the help of Episcopal Bishop Gregory T. Bedell, they and other families in the community built "Quarry Chapel" on land given by John Bateman. William Fish, owner of a nearby quarry, donated the sandstone. The church stood unused and deteriorating since 1937. Restoration began in 1972.
Latitude / Longitude
40.38778 ° / -82.37083 °
Gambier, OH 43022
Located at Quarry Chapel, Kenyon College Township Property
The Knox County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society
Text and photo courtesy of remarkableohio.com